Jumptown Swing Canberra have been running swing dance classes in Canberra for over twelve years. Our experienced and passionate teaching team love what they do and will have you up and dancing in no time, or reaching new heights if you are already doing swing.
Swing dancing is a great way to keep fit, socialise or get ready for a wedding. We have beginner classes on the North and South side of Canberra. You can join in the fun, and meet new people while learning Lindy Hop, the original partner dance from the 1920s, 30s and 40s. Classes run on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Our beginner classes are on Monday’s inner South and Wednesday’s in the City.
In addition, Jumptown is proud to present JitterBlast Fitness, a new fitness program that provides an intense total-body dance workout.
Jumptown Swing has an experienced performance troupe, the Jumptown Jammers who can perform a range of Lindy Hop, Charleston and Swing-era routines for charity events, corporate functions and events, birthdays, dinners, balls and weddings.
Swing Dancing Beginner Classes
2016 Beginner Lindy Hop/Swing Dance classes start dates
- Monday 18th, or Wednesday 20th of July 2016 (6-Week Courses)
- Monday 29th, or Wednesday 31st of August 2016 (6-Week Courses)
- Monday 10th, or Wednesday 12th of October 2016 (6-Week Courses)
- Monday 21st, or Wednesday 23rd of November 2016 (4-Week Courses)
- See our NEW Tuesday night Specialty Classes below
What you need to know
- There is no need to register, just come along.
- You can join in at weeks two or three if you can’t make week one.
- You can do one of the two (Monday or Wednesday) 6 week courses starting in a particular month.
- You don’t have to stick with this night, you can go to another night that week if you miss a class to catch up.
- We recommend you wear flat comfortable shoes.
- There is no need to bring a partner. Partners are rotated during the class.
- Email email@example.com for more information.
Beginner class are $15 each, or you can purchase a 6 week Jump Start pass for $75. That’s 6 classes for the price of 5.
When you graduate to our Essentials (Level 2) class you can still do beginners and get two classes for the price of one. When you graduate to our Evolve (Level 3) class you can do as many classes as you like all night and still pay for one class.
See Lindy Beginners for the full years beginner course dates and more information.
Tuesday 4-week Speciality Classes
- Tuesday nights now bring something a little different.
- For many years we have run three levels of regular Lindy Hop Classes on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights.
- For the rest of the year Tuesday nights will now offer a variety of special classes menu to chose from.
- These will mostly be four week blocks, some shorter.
- Some of these will be aimed at complete beginners like the Blues last month and Shag now, however other classes will be aimed at Intermediate and Advanced levels so keep an eye out on Facebook for upcoming courses.
- So far we have had our Blues for Beginners block, Collegiate Shag and next up is Solo Jazz starting the 2nd of August, with something different coming up each time.
Currently Showing on Tuesday nights:
What: Solo Jazz
When: 2nd to 23rd August 2016
Class time: 6:30pm to 7:30pm
Social dancing: 7:30pm to 8:00pm
Where: Turner Canberra Seniors Centre, 10 Watson Street Turner
Teachers: Susan Shaw and Sara Ward
Cost: Special whole 4 week course price $50
Pay as you go price: $15 a night or use your Jumptown class passes
Monday Night Balboa at Griffith
- Balboa has settled into their new venue at Griffith Neighbourhood Hall, which brings our regular Lindy Hop classes and Bal closer together on Monday nights.
- Having four classes running in two rooms on a Monday night at the one venue means more options and ease of changing between classes!
Griffith Neighbourhood Hall
Griffith Shops, Stuart St Griffith
(behind Aubergine Restaurant)
Canberräng 2016 is now over for another year!
You can still check the Canberräng website for all details about this year’s spectacular event that was held 28-31 July!
Stay tuned on our Canberrang Facebook page for social media highlights of 2016 and what’s planned for 2017.
Lindy Hopper’s Etiquette
Everything you needed to know about the etiquette of dancing in one easy infographic.
Reproduced with permission from Holy Lindy Land. Infographic designed by Ron Dobrovinsky. Produced by Ron Dobrovinsky, Ilya Grigoriev, Maya Shapira and the Holy Lindy Land team.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
At Jumptown Swing we’re connected to the the Swing dancing community across the world. We’ve got all the latest information on swing dance related events including Lindy exchanges, classes, workshops, socials, live music, across local and international events. To stay up to date, subscribe to our newsletter. You can also get up to date information on our two major events Jumptown Jam and Canberräng. So get connected and we’ll make sure to keep you up to date!